Pages

Wednesday 30 November 2011

Happy Birthday Mark Twain

If you have been on google today, you may notice a fun little illustration commemorating Mark Twain. Mark Twain is a famous and brilliant writer, born Nov 30th 1835 under the name Samuel Langhorne Clemens. While some people may not be keen on his books, they still know who he is. He is known for his most famous works - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I have mentioned him previously in my Friday's Five due to the fact he wrote one of my favourite books, Pudd'nhead Wilson. If you haven't read any of his books, I suggest you pick one up, they are great classics that always appear to have some truth in them, knowing some of what he writes about has probably happened. Mark Twain (I use his pen name as that is how he is remembered) was famous for his wit and satire, and his personal life alone was as much of a story as his stories.

On a final note, I have always been fond of the things he has said and you can find me quoting his words on my facebook page. Some of my favourites include:
  • A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.
  • 'Classic'. A book which people praise and don't read.
  • Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
  • Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.
  • Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.
If you can think of any other quotes or would like to share your views on Mark Twain and any of his stories, please do so. I would love to hear what everyone else thinks.

2 comments:

  1. Google shows Doodle in its Home page for celebrating 176th BirthDay of Mark Twain who was an American author and humorist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mark Twain and enjoy the characters he created. I think the quotes you shared are awesome! I especially like the one about the wrinkles. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete