Pages

Tuesday 20 March 2012

Movie Monday: Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter


Another week of Movie Monday, a fun meme from Stephs Stacks where books are compared to their movie counter parts on the big screen. It is more like Movie Tuesday as I couldn't get to a computer yesterday. Nevertheless, my choice this week is....


Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter is a thrilling new 3D movie based on the book, due to be out in cimemas around the world this summer. Critics are saying its a fantasy, horror, thriller, supernatural action film... if you ask me, they probably couldn't decide where it fit.
The story itself is about Abraham Lincolm, the 16th President of the United States who secretly is a vampire hunter. He discovers that his mother really died at the hands of a vampire and seeks vengeance. The book is written like a biography, following Abraham Lincoln's real life.... but with vampires. Written by the same author of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Seth Grahame-Smith and produced by no other than Tim Burton. I myself am currently in the middle of the book, so don't worry I won't be providing any spoilers. I am however extremely excited about the film as it looks fantastic. A review of the book will follow when I am finished with it. 


girly myspace layouts

The Book

Indiana, 1818. Moonlight falls through the dense woods that surround a one-room cabin, where a nine-year-old Abraham Lincoln kneels at his suffering mother's bedside. She's been stricken with something the old-timers call "Milk Sickness."

"My baby boy..." she whispers before dying.

Only later will the grieving Abe learn that his mother's fatal affliction was actually the work of a vampire.

When the truth becomes known to young Lincoln, he writes in his journal, "henceforth my life shall be one of rigorous study and devotion. I shall become a master of mind and body. And this mastery shall have but one purpose..." Gifted with his legendary height, strength, and skill with an ax, Abe sets out on a path of vengeance that will lead him all the way to the White House.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years. That is, until Seth Grahame-Smith stumbled upon The Secret Journal of Abraham Lincoln, and became the first living person to lay eyes on it in more than 140 years.

Using the journal as his guide and writing in the grand biographical style of Doris Kearns Goodwin and David McCullough, Seth has reconstructed the true life story of our greatest president for the first time-all while revealing the hidden history behind the Civil War and uncovering the role vampires played in the birth, growth, and near-death of our nation.

Quotes:
"henceforth my life shall be one of rigorous study and devotion. I shall become a master of mind and body. And this mastery shall have but one purpose..."

"In this sad world of ours, sorrow comes to all; and, to the young, it comes with bitterest agony, because it takes them unawares."

"There are but two types on men who desire war: those who haven't the slightest intention of fighting it themselves, and those who haven't the slightest idea what it is."

girly myspace layouts
The Movie
Release Date: 22 June (US) | 2 August 2012 (UK)
Producer: Tim Burton
Writers: Seth Grahame-Smith (screenplay), Simon Kinberg (screenplay)

Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States, discovers vampires are planning to take over the United States. He makes it his mission to eliminate them.
Film Posters
There are three film posters to date and I am not sure why they chose to create so many. I do however love all of them, so I thought I would share the other two.


Trailer
There are an obscene amount of trailers, so I have narrowed it down to two which will give you a good idea of the film.





Special Feature:
Behind the scenes action



I would love to hear your thoughts on the book or film.
Don't forget, my giveaway ends by the end of today, so if you haven't entered, head over now.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so excited for this to come out. I have the book, but haven't read it yet. Great Movie Monday! or Tue :). Sometimes Mondays are hard to do, I've been there, as you know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would understand :P
      You will have to tell me if its any good as I dont get it in the UK until August... 2 months behind you :(

      Delete